Wednesday, August 22, 2007

One Big "I know dat's right"

I just had to talk about this luncheon I attended today for work. It was put on by the Metro-Detroit AFL-CIO and the Michigan Labor History Society. I was really impressed with the passion of the speakers and the substance of the presentations. My favorite, of course, was by Rev. Ed Rowe who basically told people it's time to stop allowing our movement to stall out or be co-opted by others and time to teach the value of working together and unionism. It's so true--so many people of my generation have no idea the value of a union and even dislike unions because of falsehoods portrayed by businesses and the media. And yet, there is some truth to those accusations, and it's time unions step forward and take care of their own problems as well. Union workers shouldn't be supporting Right to Work (read: right to be overworked and underpaid) legislation or crossing picket lines...things like that didn't happen back in the day. And unions have paved the way for so many of the benefits we enjoy today.

Overall, a great luncheon.

The one funny part to me was when there was entertainment in the form of a re-worked version of "Part Time Lover" by Stevie Wonder into "Part Time Worker" And ever since, the song has been stuck in my head.

Here's a taste of later-day Stevie:


0 Comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online