Thursday, November 15, 2007

One-Uping America

GM Announced yesterday that it's electric hybrid car, the Volt, will be in production in 2010 with a on-the-road target date for November 2010. Such a car would significantly cut down on emissions. Of course, you have to plug it in which causes a problem insofar as coal consumption is then necessarily higher.

Then Honda came over and basically threw sand in GM's face by announcing they were putting a hydrogen car , the FCX Clarity, on the market in the US next year. It's only emission--good ol' H2O.

Basically, Honda just put GM on blast. And they won that round.

It makes it that much harder to buy American when they're so far behind.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta say though - if you look at where the majority of "American" cars are made, it's not in America. My Toyota = made in Ohio. I figger I'm at least supporting someone here at home with my 'yoda than if I got a Big 3 vehicle.

Kim said...

There is a great deal of truth to that. And it's a point that angers me--that the Big 3 doesn't take pride in making cars in America, just making profit in America.

The thing about Toyota and Honda is sure they make cars in America, but (1) they aren't union-made cars, which makes it more likely that wages and health care are poor and (2) the profits go right back to Japan (in most cases)which forces the American companies into bad financial situations, thus laying off thousands of workers and creating a problem like we have in MI right now.

I think a big part of the problem is that American car makers are no longer creative. It's like they keep on putting out the same old crap. I don't blame you--I love the Toyota cars. They're so much better than anything Detroit is making.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online