Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I C said the blind man

I usually don't get too down and dirty personal in this blog. I save such adventures for therapy and my LiveJournal. But knowing that my struggles might affect someone else in a positive way, I figured it was worth a shot.

I have interstitial cystitis, otherwise known as painful bladder syndrome. IC is a condition that affects millions of women. In short, it's basically like having a multitude of symptoms usually associated with a UTI but on an unpredictable and constant basis. Sounds like a blast, huh?

I was diagnosed with IC last year, though I think the symptoms started much earlier in retrospect. I had some treatments and entered what IC'ers term a "remission period." However, in the past few weeks my IC has been worsening again. Yesterday, in fact, it was so bad that I didn't make it to work. Those who know me can attest that not making it to work at all signals quite a bit of pain. And that's true.

One of my goals next year is to start a health blog. I have a few chronic conditions which I am determined to show are connected, including IC, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and Insulin Resistance (IR). I know its time to take control of my own health, but I also know it's time to publicize myself as a person with all three conditions--because I do see the interconnectedness of them all--and to grow and help others understand themselves, even if its only in disagreeing with me. By all means, let's have the conversation begin.

I guess I just needed to vent and this forum was available to me. I mean, it's my blog so I can write whatever I want. In the coming weeks look for my new blog devoted entirely to these issues.

Someone's gotta do it. Why not me?

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online