Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Happy 88th Anniversary to My Right To Vote!


See, even though I'm only in my twenties, there is one anniversary that extends much further back than me. My right to vote as a woman was secured by some scrappy ladies back in the early 20th century, vowing to never give up the fight. Those iron jawed angels gave me and every woman I know reason to celebrate...and reason to participate.

The fact is, one of the reasons I get so damn mad when people say that they aren't going to vote is because there are people that have died to secure these rights. Hell, even white men need to show a lot of gratitude to our founding fathers. But for those of us who weren't originally seen as a whole person--at least not worthy of voting--it's even more of a reason to take that privilege seriously. You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't take the mask of the old Lone Ranger and you don't mess around with the right to vote. Plain and freaking simple.

So today, have a drink--coffee, alcoholic, water, soda, or otherwise--and honor those women who fought ferociously so that we don't have to.

1 Comment:

MyTruth0812 said...

HECKYES. Those ladies rocked it out! You reminded me of the paper I wrote on Alice Paul (way back when). I need to go look her up again so I can have a one-woman celebration right now!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online