Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Thoughts On An Historic Moment


Tonight has been so moving. I have sat with people I've never met and had one common goal--to make sure that Michigan has a stem cell research policy that's right. I've sat here and watched friends win local elections. I've seen a new Michigan Supreme Court Justice elected.

But most importantly, I've finally answered the questions of a young Sam Grace who questioned why everyone in power was white and male. Tonight, one of those questions has finally been rhetorically answered.

In a brilliant speech, to an energized country, and a world waiting for change, Barack Obama stood and asked us to work with him--to work for ourselves--and be the change we wish to see in the world. For the first time since I can't even remember when, I feel optimistic about the future of this country.

There are hard battles before us--reproductive rights, workers rights, equal pay, energy independence, global warming--but there is nothing I feel we can't do tonight.

Yes we can.

Yes we did.

Yes we will.

1 Comment:

The Road Less Traveled said...

I was in Rockefeller Center when Obama announced the predicted winner. What an amazing experience!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online