Thursday, November 6, 2008

Post-Mortem

I took yesterday off from blogging, notwithstanding my NaBloPoMo commitment because, well, I posted so damn much on Election Day that I think I could have been justified in not blogging the rest of the week.

This election really sold me on hope. Across the country, people made the right choice most of the time on issues of interest to me, such as progressive senate and house seats, pro-choice reactions to ridiculous anti-choice ballot measures, and of course, the presidency. Michigan came together to approve Proposals 1 and 2, allowing medical marijuana use and stem cell research, respectively. Watching Obama give his acceptance speech on Tuesday night was something I will never forget as long as I live. I could watch that speech every day for the rest of my life and not get sick of it.

But at the same time, there were some disappointments. Locally, L. Brooks "The Devil" Patterson is still in power for some reason. Nationally, we Dems might not have picked up the seats necessary to fill the magic 60 number. And across the nation, biggotry raged forward in the ludicrious fight of the conservatives to ban gay marriage.

In the end, November 4th was a historic day of hope for many Americans, twinged with despair for some. Looking forward, we must make amends and work to full justice for all.

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online