Wednesday, May 23, 2007

And they now walk the streets

This article from freep.com details how the Detroit bus drivers have walked off the job because of a lack of security on the busses, which lead one driver to be assaulted just last night. Apparently the City Council is fighting mad.

"I think it's irresponsible," said Councilwoman Barbara-Rose Collins, who voted in favor of the contract the first time it failed to pass. "I voted for the sheriffs to do it, but I will not be intimidated. I think it is illegal and wrong. There is a way to lobby."
She would probably be right had the bus drivers not been already lobbying forever on this issue. And guess who came out as the voice of reason? One Martha Reeves (yes, that Martha Reeves of "and the Vandellas" fame).
Councilwoman Martha Reeves was the only member pushing for a vote today, saying that the safety of the drivers, residents and schoolchildren is at stake.
No crap. Maybe it's time to do something? The vote should take place today for the sake of the city, the bus drivers, the bus riders and the economic well-being of the area in general. People need the busses to get to school and work.

The best quote of the article though, comes from this guy, 19 year old Darius Milton:

"Awww, man. For real?" he queried. "I'm just out here trying to get a job and now I have no way to get downtown. It's a pain in the butt. But I guess I can understand because I've seen a couple drivers get slapped and one who got robbed."

1 Comment:

MarilynJean said...

It's always people like Darius who articulate big picture issues the best. Seriously.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online