Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Come on already

This article dares to say that fat women die more during childbirth than non-fats.

Here's my problem with the article. The article claims than "more than half" of all women who die during childbirth are "obese." "Obese" is a horribly derrogatory and medical term which is often overused improperly. I have problems with that term in and of itself.

Second of all, I'm going to assume that because they say "more than half" but not "two thirds" or "three-quarters", that it's damn near a half. That means if half the women who die during childbirth are "obese," half are not. So tell me, Dr. Spock, isn't that just as great of a risk factor if you take that statement for what it's worth.

I get what the point of the study was and I get the dangers, but I think we need to be more cautious when running our mouths about the "dangers" of being "obese" so that we're telling the absolute truth and not exaggerating.

sidenote: My other problem is that they had a picture of some random fat person sitting on a chair in an airport as their big photo for the article. I hate those generic fat people photos.

1 Comment:

MarilynJean said...

How about they just solve the problem of women dying during childbirth period. How about that?

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online